A networking golfing, The Clubhouse wanted to encourage their current users to use the connect feature of the mobile app. They have 1800+ daily active users that principally use the handicap feature.

We were ask to explore the cause of the low usage of the connect feature and take a look at the UI.


Screener surveys: 100
User Interviews: 15
Usability Test: 25

Simplify the information architecture to ensure a legible and straighforward interface and labeling

Breaking down the connect feature into multiple features to integrate them throughout the app

Develop gaming features to make the app more interactive and entertaining

My role

This is a colaborative project with 2 other UX designers, Adam Jordan & Isaac Taiwo. We used the double diamond method for this project and we were all involved at every stage.

I took the lead on project management by creating schedules and keeping us on time throughout the process. 
I prepared and conducted the two usability tests and redesigned the information architecture of the app. I was also heavily involved in synthesising the research and developping the affinity map.


3 weeks design sprint


We improved the usability of the app by changing the architecture, the labeling and the UI from 60% to 97% success rate.


Figma, Maze, Slack, Zoom

What is The Clubhouse?

The Clubhouse is a networking golfing mobile app. It is a growing community of golfers from around the world with the aim of making the game more accessible and affordable for all through building your golfing network.

Over the last 18 months they have grown the user base to just shy of 25,000 (average daily active users 1800+) although the majority of users are within Australia, they have users in the UK and US and are continuously growing these markets.

The problem

The Clubhouse team came to us because they found that most of their users exclusively utilize the handicap tracker of the app and will not explore the connect feature. They needed us to help them make their current user base explore the connect feature. In addition, they believe their UI could use some fresh eyes.

How can we make the current users active in the connect feature?

Discovering the Root of the Problem

We started the process with a lot of curiosity, our knowledge of golf was limited but mainly we wanted to understand the following: Who is user base is and why are they not using the connect feature?

Gathering Quantitative Data

The Clubhouse let us send out a survey through the app. The goal of the survey was to understand the demographics of the current users as well as some insights on why they are using the app. We managed to get 100 respondents and the below images showcases our more relevant findings:

“ Nothing was where I expected it to be.”

Defining the Problem

To ensure we make good use of our research findings, we synthesised our data into an affinity map. The map allowed us to notice some trends and insights both about golfing in general and about the app itself. We simplified the map to have a clearer graphic visualization of the results.

Insights about Golf

Insights about the Mobile App


That led us to develop a persona. Let’s meet Gary!
The Clubhouse is an app that aims to help diversity in golfing. However, our mission is to make the connect feature visible for the current user base; thus the persona needs to reflect the current user base, not the ideal user.

The research phase gave us a lot of information about the problem we have to solve. One of the key findings was to understand who the current users of The Clubhouse are compared to the targeted future users. The technical problems linked to the app were exposed and backed-up with numbers. Lastly, understanding golfers and their relationship to the sport in general is a great way to see new opportunities for the app.
At this stage, we really want to jump to solutions!

Gary, the social golfer needs an easy way to connect with both his clients and friends because golf’s social aspect is as important to him as the sport itself.

Defining the Solution

Once we defined the persona and the problem to solve, we started to think as a group about the possible solutions. We used the “how might we…? “ technique to create as many ideas as possible and got our two favorites.


Breaking down the app to its feature, we realised that the concept of the app should change:

From a handicap app with a connect feature

To a connecting app with a handicap feature

Developing the Product

Hi Fidelity Wireframes

Here is a comparison of a few screens that we redesigned. Our main goal was to have the navigation more clear and always have on the screen access to the main function of the app such as messages or your leaderboard.

Usability Testing

Once again, we tested the prototype on 15 new users. Some of the missions are the same ones as the ones we tested on the current app.

We improved the results of the usability testing from 60% to 97% success rate.